10/13 Cabinet Meeting Minutes

Florida Gulf Coast University

Student Government Cabinet

cc 245 October 13th 2015 5:00PM

All members of the public are welcome

  1. Call to Order
    1. 5:02pm
  2. Roll Call
    1. Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Gomes, Green, Lietaert, Rigg, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
    2. Absent: Mazzoleni
  • Amendment/Approval of the Minutes
    1. Gomes moves to approve, Rigg seconds
  1. Public Comment
    1. None
  2. Reports
    1. Presidential Report: Thieldens Elneus
      1. FSA hosting meeting at FGCU next Saturday Oct 24
        1. If available come out and support
      2. Vetoed 3 bills this week
        1. Photography Club, VMES, and Computer Software Engineering
      3. Met with Jorge Lopez, Director of Financial Aid
        1. Looking for ways to inform students on fiscal responsibility
      4. Fight Song Competition still happening throughout rest of semester
        1. Kappa Delta and Cheer Team get first pizza party
      5. Met with Chief of Staff for Kurt Clauiston
        1. Looking into connecting with students and connecting with Cape Coral office for student internships, etc.
      6. Met with Chief Moore today to talk about late night transportation program, as well as finding location for student kayak/canoe storage location
      7. Tomorrow have meeting with Beasly Broadcasting, foundation, and Dean of Students to talk about Eagle Radio location
    2. Vice President Report: Jessica Scanlon
      1. This week went to Planning and Budget Council today- look over strategic plan packet and give feedback by Thursday!
        1. Email comments, give feedback
        2. Important document for next 10 years for university
      2. Tomorrow going to breakfast with Congressman Clawson
      3. Friday at 9:30am CC213, going to Faculty Senate, University President will be in attendance
        1. Talking about paper reduction proposal
      4. Thursday, timesheets due
  • Treasurer Report: Karli Gomes
    1. Working on presentation for finance code for Oct. 30
    2. Will be at meetings for budget hearing on Thursday and Friday
  1. Chief of Staff Report: Lee Davidson
    1. One more committee- Food Advisory Committee- needs student volunteer
      1. 12-2pm, lunch provided, first Tuesday of the month
    2. Lee County Delegation meeting tomorrow Oct 14 9am at Edison College room A 177
    3. Collier County Delegation meeting Oct 15 Thursday 9-11am at Collier County water park
    4. Safety and Facilities Committee
      1. Talked about controversy of what to do with Buckingham
      2. Any student ideas of what could be put out at Buckingham let Lee know.
      3. Put poll on Facebook page about what to do!
    5. Director of Student Relations: Stephanie Lietaert
      1. If anyone has anyone in mind for Dean’s Lunch let Steph know
        1. Reached out to 15 people and only heard back from 4
        2. Coming up this Friday,
      2. Tabling at Dunk City After Dark on Oct. 23rd 6pm for T-Shirt Exchange
        1. Text Steph if you’re coming
      3. Tomorrow meeting with Brandon Washington to discuss creating Title 9 page
      4. Wednesday, November 4th 5-8 at the ROC there is a Spirit Tailgate to celebrate athletics
        1. Celebrating fall sports and introducing winter sports
      5. Director of Civic Engagement: Emmalyn Green
        1. Alt Break stuff going well, had site leader training yesterday
        2. Looking into spring trip- possibly using different program provider
          1. Doing cross-analysis about that now
        3. Starting to table and do Alt Spring Break info sessions
        4. Making Strides event this past Saturday- went well
        5. Be An Eagle For The Day event running smoothly- rooms reserved
        6. Working with Nyasia Jenkins to bring back MADD in November
        7. Running photobooth for Winter Games
        8. Eagles Inspire this Saturday
        9. St. Baldrick’s Day November 4th
        10. Working with RSO Council and doing November Lunch and Lead on service
        11. Reached out to Habitat for Humanity and Harry Chapmin for SG Service Day
  • Director of Communication and Marketing: Breanna Rigg
    1. Video shoot went well
      1. Ivan is editing
      2. Send me pictures you took during shoot!
    2. Had first committee meeting- IRC
    3. Going back and restarting puzzle piece campaign
    4. Send me links for media interviews
    5. Miguel is hosting We Are SG this week
    6. Sign up for Eagle Expo!
      1. Need people to come set up and break down
    7. Sign up for Sovi tabling!
    8. The FGCU Effect Brand Campaign- Victoria Matthews
      1. The brand markets the positive influences each student takes part in and benefits from on campus. Want to introduce the new brand to students through an event. The event would consist of students painting a mural on a wall that would display the brand and demonstrate personal experiences at FGCU.
      2. Student Government would want to partner for the event to reach to the entire school?
  • Director of Governmental Relations: Lauren Mazzoleni
    1. No Report
  1. Director of Leadership Development: Lexi Davis (Reporting is Assistant Director Nora Reca)
    1. In the phase of planning for next semester
      1. Lexi, Nicole, and Nora talking about changing/implementing new things for next semester
      2. Have meeting with Mentors and talk about potential changes
    2. Ropes course this Saturday
  2. Director of Sustainability: Uzair Iqbal
    1. Videoshoot next Friday 4pm, wear SG polos
      1. Working with athletics for Recyclemania Cha-Cha Slide video
      2. Want to play video during halftime at Alico to be played next semester
    2. Trying to incorporate a sustainability office on campus
      1. Every area on campus has sustainability within own area
      2. No chief sustainability officer
      3. Looking at other university examples to try to incorporate sustainability office at FGCU
    3. Advisor Report: Julie Gleason & Dean Michele
      1. Senate having monthly workshops on variety of topics- SG members welcome to come
        1. Finance Code presentation October 30, Friday at CC 213
      2. Putting together transition binders so successors have information
      3. Eagle Family Weekend hosting student panel- 6 students
        1. Let Julie know if interested in being on panel
      4. Last coordinator for student programming candidate tomorrow
        1. 2pm Sugden 111
  • Legislative Report:
    1. None
  • RHA Report: Alexa Neilan
    1. Harvest Party coming up, Sovi Green 7pm on 24th
    2. Dr. Fisher heard back from University that housing prices will stay the same
  1. Old Business
    1. None
  • New Business
    1. Discount Program
      1. Coming to pause- doing rest of GCTC
      2. Can everyone go to 2 places in Miromar and ask for FGCU discounts?
  • Announcements
    1. Send T your report if you want him to talk about it at Senate/Board of Trustees meeting, etc.
    2. Programming Board Comedy Night at 7pm tonight
  1. Roll Call
    1. Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Gomes, Green, Lietaert, Rigg, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
    2. Absent: Mazzoleni
  2. Adjourn
    1. 6:00pm

Senator Garret Richter Recap

Greetings,

On October 2, 2015 Student Government met with Senator Garrett Richter. At the meeting Student Representatives had a chance to have a brief discussion with the Senator on how students can better connect with legislators. The advice given during this discussion was to simply look for the seasons that will enable the most involvement such as: elections, internships and major events. He also advised SG leaders to continue to build relationships with legislators. The senator encourages students to continue to engage within the community by mentoring future FGCU students and leaders. Feedback to FGCU is continue making strides for excellence as those are how the university caught his attention.

He looks forward to seeing us at FGCU Day!

Student Government Cabinet Meeting Minutes 9-29-15

Florida Gulf Coast University

Student Government Cabinet

cc 245 SEPTEMBER 29nd 2015 5:00PM

All members of the public are welcome

 

  1. Call to Order
    1. 5:01pm
  2. Roll Call
    1. Present: Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Gomes, Green, Rigg, Mazzoleni, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
    2. Absent: Lietaert
  • Amendment/Approval of the Minutes
    1. Gomes approves, Green seconds
  1. Public Comment
    1. None
  2. Reports
    1. Presidential Report: Thieldens Elneus
      1. Represented FGCU at FSA Polython
        1. Explored ways to alleviate student loan debt in Florida
      2. FSA legislative agenda being worked on
      3. Hosting FSA on October 23-25
      4. Working with staff to select students for Dine with the Dean
      5. Hunting for set location for Eagle Radio
        1. Exploring possibilities but nothing definite yet
      6. Had meeting with planning committee for front entrance
        1. Considering moving information booth somewhere else on campus
        2. Issue is that it blocks traffic
        3. Final stage of front entrance design: potential in 5-10 years from now, having roundabout in front of Lutgert
        4. Uzair wants to put sustainability person on committee
      7. Vice President Report: Jessica Scanlon
        1. Went to Campus Recreation meeting yesterday
          1. Trying to figure out how to minimize drainage issues on rec field
            1. Due to intramural/sports games cancellations because of flooding
            2. Working with engineering companies to minimize issues
          2. Campus Dining in full affect
            1. Mets presented today
            2. Last presentation is tomorrow
            3. Narrowing down to 2 or 3 and then doing campus visits
          3. If turning in purchase ordering forms and event planning forms, turn in with enough time to approve
          4. National Hazing Week speaker tonight MANTADORY
            1. 6:30 and 8:30
            2. May have to push back some items on agenda and amend to next meeting because of speaker
          5. If you don’t report to another staff member other than SG advising team- meet with Caleb the grad assistant.
  • Treasurer Report: Karli Gomes
    1. Went to Adaptive Services Committee Meeting
      1. Having Adaptive Rec Day on October 15th at rec fields
        1. Goal ball, adaptive basketball, adaptive paddling, adaptive softball
      2. Resource fair October 14th on Lib Lawn at noon
      3. Disabled students have difficulty with trash cans on campus
      4. Don’t like longboarders on campus
    2. Turn in event planning forms with correct/full info and on time
  1. Chief of Staff Report: Lee Davidson
    1. If you’re already on a committee, don’t worry about it, but sending out committee assignments tomorrow
    2. Commencement committee decided on color of pamphlets
    3. Sgchief@fgcu.edu
  2. Director of Student Relations: Stephanie Lietaert
    1. None
  3. Director of Civic Engagement: Emmalyn Green
    1. Reviewing Alt Winter Break applications
      1. Divided into 2 groups
      2. 2 groups of people looking over 40 applications
      3. Decisions made by October 5
      4. Training starting October 12
    2. Starting to do tabling and outreach for alternative spring break trip
    3. Initiatives
      1. Making Strides
        1. Saturday October 10 at Miromar
      2. Come As You Are
        1. Saturday 4-6
        2. Once a month have SG people go with FGCU students
      3. Be an Eagle for a Day
        1. Bring at risk students to FGCU
      4. Working with MADD to do drunk driving awareness event
    4. Partnerships:
      1. Eagles Inspire
      2. Winter Games
        1. Fri Oct 23rd
        2. SG could do photobooth for kids
      3. Goals
        1. RSO workshop incorporating service into clubs
        2. Service Day- Harry Chapmin or Habitat
        3. Want to create SG website for service
  • Director of Communication and Marketing: Breanna Rigg
    1. Waiting for event planning form approved for videoshoot
    2. VIDEOSHOOT TIME CHANGE: Oct. 6th starting at 5pm ending at 6:15pm
    3. Going to schedule time later during week- optional not mandatory- Monday eveningish
    4. Sending all of this info in email later tonight
    5. Eagle News issues- contact Breanna with any problems
    6. Sign up for Eagle Expo- made sign up sheet
  • Director of Governmental Relations: Lauren Mazzoleni
    1. Invites going to be sent out soon for FGCU Day
    2. Hosting FSA meeting
      1. Weekend long event, they’re coming Friday and having meetings Saturday, they’re leaving sometime on Sunday
      2. More people involved the better!
      3. Oct 23-25
      4. Minimum 40 people attending from universities around Florida
    3. Director of Leadership Development: Lexi Davis (Reporting is Assistant Director Nora Reca)
      1. Emerging Eagles in full swing
        1. Planning on curriculum for spring semester
      2. Director of Sustainability: Uzair Iqbal
        1. Started working on solar paneled umbrellas project
          1. Company selling $1,500 per umbrella
          2. Want to put in central area of campus
          3. Researching and looking at prices before moving forward
        2. Advisor Report: Julie Gleason & Dean Michele
          1. Should be getting budget back tomorrow
          2. Coordinators for student life interviews happening
            1. Student feedback is welcome
          3. Out of office this Thursday and Friday
          4. Cannot tip more than 15% to outside food service
  • Legislative Report:
    1. Eagle News misprint fixed
    2. Creating forms for golf cart polling
      1. Email Ivan with questions that you would like to have added to the poll
  • RHA Report: Alexa Neilan
    1. Residence Rumble- October 9th at women’s soccer game
    2. Harvest Party- October 29th South Village Lawn 7-9pm
  1. Old Business
    1. None
  • New Business
    1. Winter Games
      1. Oct 23rd 8am-1pm
      2. Senate can participate too
    2. SWOT Analysis (strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats)
      1. 9/11 Remembrance
        1. Strengths
          1. President Bradshaw
          2. Agenda of the event
          3. Guest speakers were appreciated
          4. Attendance
          5. Mission barbeque combined with event
          6. Significance
          7. Gift bags
        2. Weaknesses
          1. Marketing
          2. Communication of roles
          3. Sign up sheets
        3. Opportunities
          1. Plan earlier
          2. Parking services
          3. Tent
          4. Estero Fire and Lee County Sherriff as official guest speaker
        4. Threats
          1. Weather
        5. SG Day
          1. Strengths
            1. Awareness
            2. More people = more event
            3. Kona Ice
            4. Giveaways
            5. Timing
          2. Weaknesses
            1. Lack of participation/accountability
            2. More direct communication/collaboration with SenEx
          3. Opportunities
            1. Enhancing communication with other branches
            2. Documentation
          4. Threats
            1. Weather
  • Announcements
    1. DROP (Dominican Republic Outreach Program)
      1. Student Org that has been around since 1999
      2. Go on Alt Spring Break to Dominican Republic every year
        1. Work with nonprofit that houses children who live on streets of DR- fundraise for this nonprofit
        2. Choose which students go on Alt Spring Break through point system-how much people put into the organization-and letters of recommendation. Interviews follow.
        3. Applications come out next Tuesday- anyone is welcome to apply
        4. Goal is to bring 20 students this year
      3. Fundraise during year- sports equipment, school supplies, clothes, for kids in DR
      4. Wants to start doing social events and service work in community
        1. Implementing mentor program this year
      5. Fall Fiesta
        1. Fundraiser tomorrow from 4-8, Cohen Ballroom B
        2. All donations go to children in DR
          1. Food, money, hygiene supplies, school supplies, sports equipment
        3. Bonnomu
          1. Friday Oct 9th
        4. Roll Call
          1. Present: Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Gomes, Green, Rigg, Mazzoleni, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
          2. Absent: Lietaert
        5. Adjourn
          1. 6:16pm

 

 

 

9-22-2015 Cabinet Meeting Minutes

Florida Gulf Coast University

Student Government Cabinet

cc 249 SEPTEMBER 22nd 2015 5:00PM

All members of the public are welcome 

  1. Call to Order
    1. 5:03pm
  2. Roll Call
    1. Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Green, Rigg, Mazzoleni, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
    2. Absent: Gomes, Lietaert
  • Amendment/Approval of the Minutes
    1. Reca approves, Green seconds
  1. Public Comment
    1. None
  2. Guest Speaker
    1. FGCU Wings of Hope
      1. Ricky Pires, rpires@fgcu.edu
      2. Discussed Florida panthers and threats to the panthers
      3. Working towards educating community
      4. Wants FGCU to be first college to be “wildlife-proof”
        1. Looking for SG to help with signs for this initiative
          1. “bear proof” sponsored by SG and Wings of Hope
          2. Put sign where trash cans used to be- “look what you’ve done, by moving the trash cans inside you’ve helped bears”
        2. Going to move trash cans to protect wildlife
        3. Needs student help with the zones
        4. Help with going into Colloquium classes and presenting
      5. Reports
        1. Presidential Report: Thieldens Elneus
          1. Got to speak and welcome new students this weekend
          2. Currently working on finalizing projects that are being processed
          3. Eagle Radio- still no location
          4. Working as advisory on Food Selection Committee
          5. Need 4 people for grade appeals committee
          6. Lee and T will be representing FGCU at Polython in Tallahassee
          7. Contacting people about FSA budget
          8. On September 18th, challenged student body to fight song challenge
            1. Winner will get pizza party
            2. SG will do one too
          9. Vice President Report: Jessica Scanlon
            1. Went to Faculty Senate last Friday
            2. Went to PBC as well- discussed mission and vision as well as strategic plans from committees
            3. Listened to Aramark’s campus presentation
              1. Pulled out Real Food Challenge from 2 years ago for Aramark
                1. 20% “real food” on campus
              2. Met with Service Learning Ambassadors about FGCU Winter Games- want SG to get involved
                1. Friday October 23rd 9am-1pm
  • Treasurer Report: Karli Gomes
    1. Committee meeting with Adaptive Services on Thursday
    2. Meeting with Julie for 1 on 1 meetings
  1. Chief of Staff Report: Lee Davidson
    1. Requirement to be on a committee
  2. Director of Student Relations: Stephanie Lietaert
    1. sgsr@fgcu.edu is her email
  3. Director of Civic Engagement: Emmalyn Green
    1. SG Day went well- successful first event
      1. Talked to at least 20 students
      2. At least 200 students got Kona Ice
      3. Positive feedback from students
    2. Meeting about Winter Games this week
    3. Alternative Break applications have been received- sending out confirmation emails
      1. Will hear back within 2 weeks
      2. Finalizing curriculum from training
    4. Got to go to Foundation Board Breakfast and talk about Student Government
    5. SG Trick or Treat
  • Director of Communication and Marketing: Breanna Rigg
    1. Ivan did great with We Are SG
    2. Have video shoot Tuesday 6th– during meetings. Beginning at 3:30
      1. Everyone wear black SG polos
      2. Get props
      3. Send email to all SG notifying them of this- make it mandatory
      4. Will replace Cabinet meeting- will email in reports
    3. Get info from Emma about senators for Senator Spotlight
  • Director of Governmental Relations: Lauren Mazzoleni
    1. Waiting for approval for next event
    2. Meeting with Rictor on October 2nd to talk about what FGCU is doing
  1. Director of Leadership Development: Lexi Davis (Reporting is Assistant Director Nora Reca)
    1. Lexi and Nora meeting later this week
    2. Second session was last night and it went really well
  2. Director of Sustainability: Uzair Iqbal
    1. Went to environmental sustainability committee meeting today, university has signed off to convince PBC that more input is needed
    2. After today all Farmers Markets will be on Lib Lawn
      1. If you aren’t making anything handmade that falls under “farmers market” terms, you now have to pay $100 to participate
      2. Next month- handmade jewelry from recycled materials, and honey
    3. Market Mondays approved that they want to do it together with the Farmers Market starting next semester
    4. Wants to help with Wings of Hope, funding support
      1. Working to sell trash cans we already have
    5. Advisor Report: Julie Gleason & Dean Michele
      1. Eagle Family Weekend coming up- November 7nd
        1. Adding student panel on how to be successful in college
          1. Panel at 10:30, no later than 11:30
        2. Eagle Expo on October 17th
          1. Student Government should have a table
          2. 8am-1pm
          3. Breanna work with Ivan to coordinate sign up seat for shifts- sign up genius
        3. SG tabling Monday for Hazing Prevention Week, let Molly know if you’re available to table.
          1. Hazing speaker at 6:30 and 8:30 next Tuesday MANDATORY
  • Legislative Report:
    1. First Dean’s meeting on 29th (Engineering)
    2. Meeting with Dean Gregorson on 12th or 13th
  • RHA Report: Alexa Neilan
    1. No Report
  • Old Business
    1. None
  • New Business
    1. None
  1. Announcements
    1. Jess- next week adding into new business- starting debriefing
      1. Strengths and weaknesses
      2. Next week, 9/11 event and SG Day to evaluate
    2. T- Cohen doesn’t have microwave, wants to add one
      1. Business ops will pay to have it cleaned but SG has to pay for it
  • Programming Board having drive-in movie, Get Hard, tomorrow in dirt lot. 8pm tomorrow night
  1. Roll Call
    1. Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Gomes, Green, Rigg, Mazzoleni, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
    2. Absent: Lietaert
  2. Adjourn
    1. 6:16pm

9-15-2015 Cabinet Meeting Minutes

Picture1

Florida Gulf Coast University

Student Government Cabinet

HH 221 September 15th 2015 5:00PM

All members of the public are welcome

  1. Call to Order
    1. 5:08pm
  2. Roll Call
    1. Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Gomes, Lietaert, Green, Rigg, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
    2. Absent: Mazzoleni
  • Amendment/Approval of the Minutes
    1. Elneus approves, Green seconds
  1. Public Comment
    1. None
  2. Reports
    1. Presidential Report: Thieldens Elneus
      1. 7:30am classes beginning- SG passing resolution through Senate
      2. Working with Director of Campus Rec to get advisory committee
        1. Role: give advice to campus rec and their offices
      3. Need 1 person to sit on parking advisory board
      4. Need people for grades appeals committee
      5. Need location for Eagle Radio
      6. Sept 25th-27th in Tallahassee
      7. Tea with T
        1. Steph and Breanna
      8. Vice President Report: Jessica Scanlon
        1. Faculty Senate on Friday at 9:30
        2. Planning & Budget meeting today
          1. Discussed environmental strategic committee plan
        3. Campus food and dining meeting today
          1. Presentations start next week on Tuesday
          2. Let Jess know any specific questions, etc. that she can ask during the meeting
  • Treasurer Report: Karli Gomes
    1. Let Karli know any budget questions
  1. Chief of Staff Report: Lee Davidson
    1. Institutional Affairs Team needs volunteer
      1. Meetings are scheduled on Fridays from 1pm – 2 pm on October 23, Nov. 20 and December 11 this semester.
    2. If you have anything that needs expressed in Safety and Facilities Committee let Lee know
  2. Director of Student Relations: Stephanie Lietaert
    1. T-Shirt Exchange wasn’t as successful
      1. Going to target Spirit Cup Challenge games
      2. Promote it more
    2. In communication with Campus Rec- meeting with Sport Club President next week
  3. Director of Civic Engagement: Emmalyn Green
    1. 82 alternative break applications for students
      1. Closes tomorrow
    2. 4 staff and 4-7 site leaders
    3. Events coming up:
      1. Working with Kathleen from SL for Eagles Inspire
      2. Working with Service Learning for Winter Games
      3. CROP students come in and have a day at FGCU
      4. Making Strides Against Breast Cancer
    4. Sign up for SG Day Tuesday Sep 22 10-2 Library Lawn
    5. Fight song competition
  • Director of Communication and Marketing: Breanna Rigg
    1. Ivan doing We Are SG now
    2. Helping with Wings Up Wednesday
    3. When to do photoshoot/video? Weekend/weekday?
      1. During cabinet meetings
  • Director of Governmental Relations: Lauren Mazzoleni
    1. Thank you for helping with 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony, more SG support
  1. Director of Leadership Development: Lexi Davis (Reporting is Assistant Director Nora Reca)
    1. Emerging Eagles just started and went well
      1. 43 students attended
    2. Director of Sustainability: Uzair Iqbal
      1. Movie date on October 7th has been canceled- will be next semester instead
      2. Officers attended Student Organization Council meeting, combining Market Mondays and Farmers Market together was discussed. Planning on combining them.
      3. Earth Day budget
      4. Environmental Sustainability Committee, people from Charge Point came out, discussing coming to FGCU for pilot run
        1. Need to see how many students would utilize this service
      5. Monday, Nov 2nd at 6pm: Terry Tempest Willia Student Dialogue by the Center for Environmental Sustainability and Education
      6. International Reception this Friday at 5:30 at the Ballroom
    3. Advisor Report: Julie Gleason & Dean Michele
      1. Chair Rodriguez
        1. Wings up Wednesday September 16th 11-3, Jets Pizza
        2. Need SG representatives to table during this time- sign up sheets
      2. Julie Gleason
        1. Constitution Day is Thursday 10-2 Cohen Atrium
        2. OSI is tabling, come by and help out if able to
  • RHA Report: Alexa Neilan
  • Harvest Party is on October 29th, Lib Lawn 5:30-7PM.
  • Area Council Applications are open again
  • Resnet- Netflix for students. Email abneilan0067@eagle.fgcu.edu with any movie suggestions.
  • First BOG meeting is this Wednesday in Eagles Landing at 9:30PM.

 

  1. Old Business
    1. None
  • New Business
    1. Alternative Break Info Session
      1. Take 20-30 student and faculty members to a place outside of Florida for service experience
      2. Bring what you learn there back to FGCU and the community
      3. Created to educate and expose individuals to social issues
      4. Objectives: ask questions, challenges perspectives, get comfortable with being uncomfortable
      5. Trip is free of cost to participate, housing and transportation taken care of, may have to pay for food
      6. This year: Atlanta, GA from December 13-19
      7. Applications due tomorrow at 5pm
  • Announcements
    1. T, Karli, and Jess did budget for next fiscal year. Jess will be emailing out proposed budget.
    2. Programming Board is having a Retro Ice Cream event tomorrow Cohen 247 at 8pm
  1. Roll Call
    1. Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Gomes, Lietaert, Green, Rigg, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
    2. Absent: Mazzoleni
  2. Adjourn
    1. 6:17pm

Cabinet Minutes 9/8/2015

Picture1

Florida Gulf Coast University
Student Government Cabinet
CC 249 September 8th 2015 5:00PM
All members of the public are welcome

  1. Call to Order
    1. 5:00pm
  2. Roll Call
    1. Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Gomes, Lietaert, Green, Rigg, Mazzoleni, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
  • Amendment/Approval of the Minutes
    1. Elneus approves, Green seconds
  1. Public Comment
    1. None
  2. Reports
    1. Presidential Report
      1. Submit applications for FGCU Day and encourage other people to apply
        1. FGCU Day January 25th
      2. Represented at the BLT meeting, decided to give President Bradshaw a 5% raise and $40,000 bonus
      3. Approved mission and vision statement for university
      4. Passed the Budget and will revisit specific areas in January
      5. FSA meeting later this month- tentatively at FSU. Polython will be there held too
        1. Polython: “Policy hacking” competition. dissecting politics, divided into groups and create presentations from which a winner is chosen.
        2. September 25th/26th
      6. SG drive at Osprey Hall/SoVi to reach out to freshmen- select dates and times.
    2. Vice President Report
      1. If checking out golf cart, give keys back in 24 hours at OSI desk- if over the weekend give back first thing Monday
      2. Purchase order forms- talk about it in cabinet meetings beforehand
      3. Give Jess 24 hour advance notice before adding something to New Business in Cabinet Agenda
      4. Went to Faculty Senate- every other Friday 9:30am-11:30/12
  • Treasurer Report
    1. Treasurer trainings going on right now
    2. Working on discounts
    3. $4,000+ in allocated account
  1. Chief of Staff Report
    1. Emailed out available committees
      1. Send interested students to Lee
    2. Constitution Committee review Thursday at 6:30
  2. Director of Student Relations
    1. Tabling at soccer games this weekend- Thursday and Saturday at 7pm
    2. Steph and T met with Vicki Holmes discussing Dean’s Lunch with students on Friday
    3. Email reactivated today so resend important emails: SGSR@fgcu.edu
  3. Director of Civic Engagement
    1. Google doc is being fixed
    2. Answer questions for SG Day
    3. Alt Break apps and service leader apps are out- over 50 applied so far
      1. 3 Alt Break info sessions happening this week
    4. Meeting with assistant directors
      1. Goal: to reach out to other orgs
      2. Made list of underrepresented areas to advertise to
    5. Met with SL Ambassador Kathleen to work with Eagles Inspire
      1. Let know if interested in participating in this- volunteer hours awarded
      2. Additionally working on food drive, teddy bear drive, and book drive with Service Learning Ambassadors
    6. Had lunch with Dean on Friday
      1. Group fundraiser was discussed
  • Director of Communication and Marketing
    1. Need Emma to answer reporter questions and send me headshot
    2. Cody is working on social media contests with Ivan’s committee for outreach
    3. SG photoshoot and video?
    4. Contacted by lots of reporters- sorry for all the emails but please respond when possible!
  • Director of Governmental Relations
    1. Finances:
      1. Making order for flowers for 9/11 event- $150
      2. Banner- $120
      3. Gift bags- $50
    2. 9/11 event on Friday- mandatory
      1. Need help starting at 10- event starts at 11
      2. Food has been ordered
      3. Service Learning hours will be given
      4. Attire- wear SG polo with pants or long shorts
    3. Fill out FGCU Day applications
  1. Director of Leadership Development
    1. Calm before the storm on Monday
    2. Waiting to hear from campus reservations
  2. Director of Sustainability
    1. Oct 7th is documentary screening- tentative
      1. Need volunteers to help set up
    2. Nov 2nd 5pm in Ballroom is TTWSG by CESE- student dialogue- tables leading discussion on climate change
      1. For students to students by students
      2. Diff aspects of climate change
      3. Limited seating so if interested let Uzair know if attending
    3. Advisor Report
      1. Constitution Day Sept 17th
        1. 10am-2pm
        2. Tabling downstairs in Atrium
      2. Eagle Family Weekend movie Nov 7th
  • RHA Report
    1. None
  1. Old Business
    1. None
  • New Business
    1. None
  • Announcements
    1. Director Green
      1. During SG Day, T give State of the Union/Student Body address?
        1. Decided it would be poor timing
      2. Senator Rodriguez
        1. First Wings Up Wednesday- Sept 16th 11-3 on Cohen Center Lawn
          1. Jets Pizza
        2. Sinister 2 tonight at 8:05pm.
      3. Roll Call
        1. Present: Scanlon, Davidson, Gomes, Lietaert, Green, Rigg, Mazzoleni, Reca (for Davis),
        2. Absent: Elneus, Iqubal
      4. Adjourn
        1. 5:48pm

 

 

 

9-1-2015 Cabinet Meeting Minutes

Picture1

Florida Gulf Coast University
Student Government Cabinet
CC 249 September 1st 2015 5:00PM
All members of the public are welcome 

  1. Call to Order
    1. 5:02pm
  2. Roll Call
    1. Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Lietaert, Green, Rigg, Mazzoleni, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
    2. Absent: Gomes
  • Amendment/Approval of the Minutes
    1. Iqubal approves, Green seconds
  1. Public Comment
    1. None
  2. Reports
    1. Presidential Report
      1. Attended FSA meeting, appointed as fiscal policy chair
        1. Involves getting the budget for FSA
      2. FSA hosting presidential forum on October 3rd
      3. Policy Writing Competition for FSA later this month- info still being finalized
      4. Met with Director of Housing, discussed location for Eagle Radio
        1. Additionally, talked about having student storage for kayaks/canoes on campus
      5. Attended alumni and honors meetings and met with Honors Senate to express that SG is here for them to collaborate and partner with
      6. Going to Board of Trustees meeting on September 8th to complete the presidential evaluation of President Bradshaw. If you want to voice concerns about President Bradshaw let T know
    2. Vice President Report
      1. Did coin flip for soccer game!
      2. Working on building school spirit and relationship with athletics by attending games and helping with T-Shirt Exchange
      3. Planning and budget meeting canceled today
      4. Timesheets due Thursday at noon
      5. Out of town this weekend, available by email
  • Treasurer Report
    1. Treasurer training started this week
    2. Talked to more businesses in Gulf Coast Town Center on Friday for discounts
    3. Going to talk to businesses in Miromar too
  1. Chief of Staff Report
    1. Waiting on responses for committees that just got new advisors
    2. If you are on a committee and not receiving emails for committee let Lee know
    3. Constitution committee in full swing, let him or T know of any changes to Constitution
  2. Director of Student Relations
    1. Going into Honors Senate on Sept 14th to introduce self
    2. Dean wants to have breakfast and lunch with student leaders on campus- first meeting Sept 11.
      1. 8 student leaders on campus needed. Make recommendations to Steph.
    3. Working on alcohol policy
  3. Director of Civic Engagement
    1. All apps released for Alternative Winter Break
    2. Next week, holding Alternative Break info sessions
    3. SG Day- send emails with bio information for Emma!
    4. First Saturday of every month- have 10 SG reps go out and volunteer together
    5. Going to lunch on Friday with Dean of Students to discuss future of alternative breaks
    6. Assistant Director Candidate: Evelyn Philistine
      1. Not present. Statement read by Emma
      2. Goals:
        1. Progression of alternative break program
        2. Good assessment with thought provoking questions for application
        3. Increase marketing efforts- flyers, tabling, social media
        4. Improve timeliness and organization regarding these efforts
        5. Reach larger pool of individuals
        6. Increase in first year and upperclassmen involvement as well as students who aren’t as involved on campus
        7. Outside alternative breaks- increase marketing for entire civic engagement branch
        8. Make more versatile Service Learning events
        9. Implement Service Saturdays
        10. Public online calendar
        11. More collaboration between RSOs and other organizations
      3. Officially appointed as Assistant Director
    7. Assistant Director Candidate: Jatesia Littles
      1. Previously a coordinator for student relations
      2. Wants to expand into SG
      3. Went on Alternative Spring Break, which made her realize she wants to inspire others through service
      4. Goals:
        1. Reach out to different departments and organizations on campus and grow and foster these relationships
        2. Partner once a month with different departments on campus and get more freshmen involved with Civic Engagement
        3. Bringing life back into Civic Engagement
      5. Officially appointed as Assistant Director
  • Director of Communication and Marketing
    1. We Are SG going well
      1. Ivan hosting next week
    2. Going to be working on SG campaign during September
    3. Let Breanna know if you want to do We Are SG!
    4. Meeting with Emma within the next few weeks regarding Social Media Scavenger Hunt
    5. Assistant Director Candidate: Jovanna Albino
      1. Junior, prenursing
      2. Programming board- promotions
      3. Focused on social media
      4. Officially appointed as Assistant Director
    6. Social Media Coordinator: Cody Crivello
      1. Sophomore, RHM
      2. Honors Program; Honors Senate and Mentor
        1. Chair of Finance Committee for Honors Senate
      3. Goals: more social media outreach and involvement
      4. Officially appointed as Social Media Coordinator
  • Director of Governmental Relations
    1. Application for FGCU Day has been released, due Sept 8th
    2. Tabled on Thursday for thank you notes for 9/11 event
    3. Sent out email invitations for 9/11 event and already getting rsvps
  1. Director of Leadership Development
    1. Emerging eagles starts in a week and a half
    2. Confirmation emails going out today
  2. Director of Sustainability
    1. New flyers!
    2. Movie screening and food event in ballroom on Oct 7th, working on logistics
    3. Working with Aramark to come up with new menu that’s regionally sourced
    4. Farmers Market/Food Forest Coordinator Candidate: Jade Chalkley
      1. Knowledgeable of how food forest works, has helped out at food forest
      2. Reaching out to vendors and businesses and coordinating flyers
      3. Helping with food talks
      4. Officially appointed as Coordinator
    5. Recyclemania Coordinator Candidate: Sarah Stauring
      1. Worked with Recyclemania last year for civic engagement project
      2. Helped with Eagles Earth Day
      3. Has lots of recycling ideas and wants to make a difference
      4. Bio major that wants to work with environment upon graduation
      5. Officially appointed as Coordinator
    6. Advisor Report
      1. For Constitution Day- suggestion to do gavel stress balls- need to approve budget request
      2. Has table reserved for Constitution Day
      3. Senate seats open in every college except for Education & Business
        1. Looking for people to fill seats- application on Student Goverment website
  • RHA Report
    1. RHA delegate has class at this time, Jess and her meet weekly and Jess reports for her at meeting
    2. No report
  1. Old Business
    1. None
  • New Business
    1. Lunch with Dean of Students
      1. Decided to split the cost of the first lunch and postpone further discussion until next meeting when we can review the budget
        1. $50 for first lunch
        2. Added in old business for next meeting
  • Announcements
    1. Outreach Chair Rodriguez
      1. Wings Up Wednesday
        1. Reach out with athletics, getting Jets Pizza
        2. Doing T-Shirt Exchange and raffles
        3. Wear FGCU apparel on Wednesday
        4. Every 3rd Wednesday of the month
        5. First one on Sep 16th, Cohen Center lawn,
      2. SG Tuesdays
        1. Wear SG apparel
        2. Tabling 2-5
        3. Goal to get more people to be at SG meetings for public comment and raise awareness
      3. Julie Gleason
        1. Eaglepalooza tickets go on sale this Friday at 8am in FGCU bookstore
      4. Roll Call
        1. Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Davidson, Gomes, Lietaert, Green, Rigg, Mazzoleni, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal
        2. Absent: None
      5. Adjourn
        1. 5:54pm

8-25-2015 Cabinet Meeting Minutes

Picture1

Florida Gulf Coast University
Student Government Cabinet
CC 249 August 25th 2015 5:00PM
All members of the public are welcome

  1. Call to Order 5:04PM
  2. Roll Call

Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Gomes, Davidson, Lietaert, Green, Rigg, Mazzoleni, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal

Absent: None

  • Amendment/Approval of the Minutes

Mazzoleni Approves, Green seconds

  1. Public Comment

None

  1. Reports
  1. Presidential Report
  • Distributed letters to university wide committees
  • FSA meetings have been going well, FGCU put in a bid to host
  • Met with new staff members on campus
  • Working on late night ride program
  • Students want a kayak rack, have been in contact with different areas on campus

1.  Vice President Report

  • Food Selection Committee member- let Jessica know if you have suggestions
  • Sitting on the Planning Budget Committee
  • Review of expectations, paperwork, hours, event planning form, etc.
  • Goal GPA for this semester

Treasurer Report

  • Treasurer training is coming up, all dates are on the OSI website
  • Sitting on the Adaptive Services Committee
  • Student discount program is going strong and Karli is meeting with different companies to continue the program
  1. Chief of Staff Report
  • Committees- Contact Lee to serve on a committee
  • Contact lee if you need help with anything
  1. Director of Student Relations
  • T-Shirt exchange this Friday night at both the Men’s and Women’s soccer games.
  • Working with other campus areas for input to help SG
  • Working with Breanna on a logo
  • Will be contacting Brandon Washburn (Title 9 office) to make a cohesive video with different campus partners.
  1. Director of Civic Engagement
  • Released staff and site leader applications for Alternative Winter Break, Participant apps will be released the first week of September. AWB will take place in Atlanta, GA.
  • Assistant Directors will be up for appointment next week
  • September is Social Justice month
  • Sitting on Parking Appeals Committee

 

  • Director of Communication and Marketing
  • Wearefgcusg is up and running
  • Meet the Executive Board will take off on Facebook next week
  • Assistant Director will go up for appointment next week
  • SG September will take off on Facebook
  • Working on the e-vite for the September 11th event

 

  • Director of Governmental Relations
  • Tabling on Thursday 11-2 for 9/11 event, students will have the opportunity to write thank you letters to people that have served
  • Eagle advocacy event on Thursday from 4-6:30, in need of volunteers
  • 9/11 event will be from 10:00-12:30 roughly, mission BBQ will be catering. This event is mandatory for any SG Cabinet member
  • FGCU Day applications come out on 08/26, open to any student. FGCU is tentatively in between January 25th-28th.
  • Looking for coordinators
  1. Director of Leadership Development
  • First mentor retreat was last night, the next one is next Monday, the mentors have a week off than Emerging Eagles begins
  • Emerging Eagles participant applications are open until this Thursday, will be taking 50 students, and deferring 10 students until next spring
  • Leadership Program for SG has been postponed until spring.

 

  • Director of Sustainability
  • Next Farmer’s Markets are 09/08 from 10-2 on the Library Lawn and September 22nd from 10-2 on the Cohen Center Lawn
  • Terry Templis dialogue may be something SG collaborates on, the date is in September.
  1. Advisor Report
  • Graduate Assistant Caleb Houston is here to help in any way possible and can be used as a resource for event planning and logistics. Email is chouston@fgcu.edu
  • Constitution day is September 17th
  • Eagle Family Weekend- Saturday November 7th from 9AM-11:30AM help with the movie and breakfast. Great time to network with Parents and help student get involved. Please arrive at 8:30AM with your SG polo and nametag on.
  • RHA Report
    None
  1. Old Business
    1. Retreat Projects:
      1. Steph will be heading the Lunch with the Dean initiative
      2. SG Day has been moved to September 22nd in congruence with the Farmers Market. Lexi and Emma will be heading this event
      3. Nation Hazing Prevention Week speaker is September 29th at 6:30. This is mandatory for all Cabinet members. During this week their will also be a tabling day that SG will head.
  • New Business

None

  • Announcements

None

  1. Roll Call

Present: Elneus, Scanlon, Gomes, Davidson, Lietaert, Green, Rigg, Mazzoleni, Reca (for Davis), Iqubal

Absent: None

  1. Adjourn : 6:20PM

Important: Confirmation of Attendance

Picture1

An important announcement from the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships regarding confirmation of class attendance:

Dear FGCU Eagle,

We would like to inform you about a new process effective this Fall 2015 semester regarding the confirmation of class attendance for financial aid purposes. Federal regulations state that students who receive financial aid must be academically engaged in each course in which they are enrolled. Without verification of this engagement, students will be in jeopardy of not receiving their financial aid promptly. For this reason, FGCU is requiring that all faculty use Canvas to document their students’ class attendance through the completion of an academic activity.

To assist in this process, Faculty members will create an academic activity using Canvas; as a student it is your responsibility to complete whichever activity has been assigned by the Faculty member.

Instructions to complete the process:

  1. Students login to Canvas https://canvas.fgcu.edu/
  2. Identify if an academic activity is available for you to complete. Do this for each of your registered courses.
  3. Examples of an academic activity are listed below, but are not limited to:

    Quiz or survey
    Discussion
    Assignment

  4. The activity should have a completion date no later than August 25, 2015.
    The confirmation of attendance via an academically related activity is required for all students, not only those receiving financial aid.

    Thank you for your prompt attention to completing this process.

    Sincerely,

    Dr. Ronald Toll
    Provost & VP of Academic Affairs

    Jorge Lopez
    Director of Financial Aid

12